The Zimmerman Files
“In fact, I am an atheist. And I’ve been one for 40-years… Personally, I have no religious faith. I can’t get my head around how people can believe in a deity.”
– Dr Michael Zimmerman, HumanistNetworkNews.org [Jan 3, 2007]
Here’s a few articles to help give you some background on atheist Dr Michael Zimmerman and the pro-evolution Clergy Letter compromise.
- Clergy Letter Deconstruction – A survey of the fallacious claims made in the Clergy Letter.
- How the Creation Letter Answers the Pro-Evolution Clergy Letter – A complement to the Clergy Letter Deconstruction. Provides a point-by-point breakdown of how the Creation Letter answers each claim of Zimmerman’s Clergy Letter.
- Strange Bedfellows: Michael Zimmerman’s Clergy Letter Project – An examination of some of the Clergy Letter’s “Christian” signatures and an exploration of Zimmerman’s link to the antiChristian Center For Inquiry.
- January 2010 Press Release: Ministry Urges Churches To Celebrate Creation Sunday, Not Evolution Sunday – Lays out the problem with Zimmerman’s pro-evolution Clergy Letter and its basis on the unBiblical concept of non-overlapping magisteria [NOMA] and urges churches to celebrate a Creation Sunday in lieu of Zimmerman’s proposed Evolution Weekend.
- The Huffington Post on Churches Who Celebrated Evolution Sunday – A response to a HuffPo article by Clay Farris Naff praising churches for preaching Darwin from their pulpits. This article pre-dates [barely] Zimmerman’s debut as a HuffPo regular. Notably, the picture I used for this article shows an Assembly of God church sign advertising that it will celebrate Darwin Day; this was almost a year before the AG leadership officially abandoned their Biblical position on Genesis.
- The Hidden Purpose Behind Atheist Michael Zimmerman’s Pro-Evolution Clergy Letter – Examines Zimmerman’s motives for creating and promoting the Clergy Letter.
- How Atheist Michael Zimmerman Attempts To Trivialize the Creation/evolution Controversy – A Rebuttal of Zimmerman’s first article for the HuffPo. This piece set the tone for his later arguments.
- Pawns and Crackpots: More On How Atheist Michael Zimmerman Tries To Trivialize the Very Real Creation/evolution Debate – Zimmerman responded to my objection to his inaugural HuffPo piece, so I responded once more.
- Lying For Darwin: Faitheist Dr Michael Zimmerman Caught Quote Mining Answers in Genesis – It appears Zimmerman has no problem quoting people out-of-context to try to make his case. He gets caught. [Note: Faitheist is a term used by atheists for Zimmerman and others who profess atheism but say religious belief is OK (ie. they do not follow through with the logical dictates of their belief by decrying religion).]
- Yourenothelping Blog’s Revealing Critique of the Atheist-Founded Clergy Letter: Surprise! It’s No Different Than Atheism! – A blog praising Zimmerman’s efforts also lays out a few criticisms. Zimmerman often gets both barrels: one from the Biblical Creationists and one from the atheists, because both camps feel his Project is a bald-faced compromise of their principles.
- Tennessee’s Rev John Shuck’s Upcoming Evolution Sunday & What It Means: Portrait of a Pro-Evolution Clergy Letter Signer – The Rev John Shuck has led his congregation in celebration of Evolution Sunday [what he terms “Darwinmas,” his “favorite Holy Day”] since atheist Dr Michael Zimmerman first proposed the concept in 2006. This post sadly demonstrates how those who are capable of signing the Clergy Letter are rank apostates.